Friday 16 September 2011

Review - Autumn Crush by Milly Johnson

When you’ve read all the books that a writer has written so far, and they bring out a new one, you always wonder whether it will live up to the others.  Well, she’s only gone and done it again!  Milly Johnson has created another cracker of a book in the form of Autumn Crush. 

When thirty-something divorcee Juliet interviews for a flatmate with best gay friend Coco, they have almost given up hope when into their life walks the lovely Floz who is the perfect candidate and they all get on like a house on fire.   When Juliet’s twin brother Guy meets Floz, in his effort not to show her that he fancies the pants off her, he somehow becomes the clumsiest and grumpiest person in the world making her think he doesn’t like her at all. 

Juliet has always thought that Guy’s best mate Steve is in her words “a bit of a knob!” and is madly in love with her boss, who hasn’t noticed that she even exists! Floz appears to be keeping secrets from everyone else and they become worried about her but don’t know how to help her as she is very private about her past and won’t tell them what’s wrong.   And Coco just wants to be loved!

This is a tale of friendship and love and how things that seem to be one thing, could turn out to be another. 

I can’t possibly tell you anymore without giving much more of the plot away and you don’t want me to do that now do you?  You can find out for yourself when you read it.  With lots of twists and turns along the way, this is such an enjoyable book to read and had me SO looking forward to being able to go to bed early and catch up with the gang and their shenanigans.   

I absolutely love Milly’s writing.  From the very first book of hers that I discovered, I knew that I had to go out and buy every other one she had written and I loved them all just as much as the first .  You don’t want to put her books down from the moment you pick them up.  She writes in a simple but hilarious way with loads of one liners which will have you laughing for days.  Reading one of Milly's books transports you into another world, making you become part of the story.  Her descriptions are so vivid and colourful, and the characters so real and likeable. 

Thank you Milly for writing another brilliantly entertaining book which I’m sure will bring tons of pleasure to everyone who reads it. 

I was really lucky that Milly allowed me to interview her just after I read her last book Here Come The Girls and you can find that interview here.   She is a 5ft born and bred, half-Glaswegian Barnsley bird who has been writing for the greetings cards industry for a number of years.  She lives with her two sons in Barnsley and is a life long fan of wrestling. 

Milly is also the reason I became a book blogger.  To find out why click here.  Thanks again Milly for your motivation and the encouragement you gave to me.  I've never looked back and have enjoyed my reviewing more than anything else I've ever done (except of course for having my darling son)!   You are a shining star x

To buy Autumn Crush from Amazon, click here.

To find out more about Milly, her writing and all of her other books, you can find her website at www.millyjohnson.co.uk and her blog site at http://daftoldbag.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Here Come the Girls and you may well have inspired me to seek out more Milly :)

Kim The Book Worm said...

Thanks so much for popping onto the blog and making a comment. All her books are fab, I've not been disappointed with any of them. They're a real treat. You should go and buy the lot and read them back to back, that's what I did. Hope you'll continue to read my reviews, thanks again and have a great weekend.
x

Janice said...

How fabulous to have such an enthusiastic recomendation for an author and ALL her books! Suddenly Autumn and Winter sitting indoors by the fire doesn't so sound so dark and dreary after all!

I'm off to find this and ALL of Millie's other books lol!

Nikki said...

I will look forward to reading Milly's books x

Carole's Book Corner said...

This book is waiting to be read on my shelf and now I'm really looking forward to it thanks to your fab review!