Wednesday 1 February 2012

Review - This Is A Love Story by Jessica Thompson

WOW! What an adorable and emotional story and an incredible debut novel from Jessica Thompson who is surely an author to look out for!   

Sienna and Nick’s eyes met on a crowded train.  A shared moment that they thought was over as soon as it began.  Yet it wasn’t!  When Sienna arrived at the job that she’d started a couple of weeks ago, she found herself looking straight into those beautiful eyes once more.  She discovered that the man that all her colleagues had all been talking about at work, who had been away, was Nick.   They immediately fell head over heels in love with each other, but neither thought that the other could possibly feel the same, and they missed many opportunities in time, to tell each other how they really felt.  

Instead, they became the best of friends and much to the distress of their various partners over the years, were forever joined at the hip.  If they couldn’t be what they really want to be to each other, then they’d be the next best thing. 

When this book arrived, I immediately loved the cover, turquoise, white and shiny and after reading the description thought it sounded like it was going to be a good read.  It was actually not a good read but an absolutely incredible one that I enjoyed SO very much.  The story of Sienna and Nick was just as adorable as the cover.  They missed so many opportunities to tell each other that they were in love with each other that I was so frustrated I just wanted to shout at them and make them sort it out.

Jessica writes from the heart, and the characters were perfectly formed.  Sienna is an absolute sweetheart, beautiful, caring and clever, she just wants to be the best person she can be and help anyone who is in her life whether they want help or not.  Nick is just perfect, handsome, strong, funny – all the qualities most women look for in a partner. Jess’s father a wonderful, accepting, amazing character that is a complete inspiration.   Jess raises awareness of the conditions narcolepsy and cataplexy, both of which I was aware of but never really thought about how devastating it was to live with it every day of your life for not only the person who has the condition, but also those caring for them.   

I read the last few chapters through so many tears streaming down my cheeks, that I could hardly see the words. I felt every raw emotion as if they were my own. 

Once again, I spent a Sunday stuck with my nose in a book.  I'm afraid the housework had to wait!  
 
So hard to believe that this delightfully compelling book that had me spellbound from the very start, wasn’t penned by an author who’d been writing for years.  I’m sure that given the reading enjoyment that this book gave to me, Jessica Thompson will be a well established author that we’ll be seeing for many years to come. 

I am delighted that Jess has agreed to be interviewed by little old me, and I will be posting that interview tomorrow so that we can learn the inspiration behind this amazing debut novel and find out more about this wonderful author.

Jessica Thompson lives in North London and  is a multimedia journalist working for a series of London newspapers.  In her spare time she loves to run and sing as well as write!   She felt very moved by the work of the charity www.narcolepsy.org.uk and would like to continue to help to raise awareness of this hard working charity. 

www.twitter.com/jthompsonauthor

www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Thompson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Love-Story-Jessica-Thompson/dp/1444734210

1 comment:

Carol E Wyer said...

This sounds just my 'cup of tea'. I shall check her out.